Accounting Theory and Current Issues Assignment
Assessment – Each group can choose a peer-reviewed journal article that discusses the implications of accounting theories (agency theory, institutional theory, stakeholder theory, legitimacy theory, debt-covenant theories) to organisations; OR a peer-reviewed journal article that discussesthe implications of positive accounting theories hypotheses (bonus plan hypothesis, debt- covenant hypothesis, political cost hypothesis ) to organisations.
Topic is Research Paper from Agency Theory: Capital structure and firm performance: A new approach to testing agency theory and an application to the banking industry.
The following are examples of journal articles that fit the criteria for the assignment. However, your group must select a journal article other than the ones provided here.
1. Research Paper from Agency Theory: Capital structure and firm performance: A new approach to testing agency theory and an application to the banking industry.
2. Research Paper from Institutional and legitimacy Theory: Financial Restatements, Audit Fees, and the Moderating Effect of CFO Turnover.
3. Research Paper from Positive accounting theories hypotheses: Earnings-based bonus plans and earnings management by business-unit managers.
1. Introduction of your group's presentation and the title of the journal article for your group.
2. Practical explanation of chosen topic (you don't need to explain research design or literature review, you will only explain the part where you find an implication of theories, or hypotheses or social reporting and you can sub-divide this part)
3. Match your chosen concept with the conceptual knowledge you have learn from the subject (e.g. how bonus plan hypothesis can negative impact of earnings manipulation or how political cost negative impact on firm performance or any positive impact)
4. Summary and practical contribution of your chosen topic.