Mojo Ltd manufactures a variety of snacks. The company is considering introducing a new product. The company’s manager has been provided with the following information by their business analyst
BAP53A Corporate Finance 20T3 MA Questions
Major Assignment Question (Due in Week 11)
Part A: Investment Decision – project evaluation (To be submitted in assignment folder)
Mojo Ltd manufactures a variety of snacks. The company is considering introducing a new product. The company’s manager has been provided with the following information by their business analyst.
- An environmental impact study has been undertaken at a cost of $400,000. This indicates that the project is environmentally sustainable, but the project still needs to be evaluated to see if it is economically viable.
- The project will require the use of storage capacity owned by the company. If not used for the project, this could be rented out for $89,000 per year.
- The project will generate waste products which can be used by another of the firm’s operations, saving that operation $97,000 per year in raw material purchases.
- The project has an anticipated economic life of 8 years.
- The Company plans to spend $2,400,000 on advertising campaign to boost sales.
- The Company’s interest expense each year will be $1,170,000.
- The Company is required to purchase a new machine to produce the new product. The machine’s initial cost is $13,000,000. The machine will be depreciated on a straight – line basis over 6 years. The Company anticipates that the machine will last for 10 years; the salvage value after 6 years is $1,200,000.
- Six months ago, the Company also paid $870,000 to a firm to do research regarding new product.
- If the Company goes ahead with the new product, it will influence on the Company’s net operating capital. The forecasted net working capital will be $700,000 (at time zero)
- The new product is expected to generate sales revenue of $2,800,000; $4,500,000;
$6,600,000; $8,800,000; $10,600,000; 10,000,000; 9,500.000 and 9,600,000 from years 1 to
8, respectively. Each year the operating cost (not including depreciation) expected to equal 22 percent of sales revenue.
- In addition, the Company expects with introduction of new product, sale of other snacks products increases by $1,180,000 after taxes each year.
- The Company’s overall WACC is 6.7%. However, the proposed project is riskier than the average project; the new project’s WACC is estimated to be 7.45%
- The Company’s tax rate is 27.5% (being a base rate entity).
Find the net present value, internal rate of return, discounted payback, and profitability index of the proposed project. Based on your analysis should the project be accepted? [You are required to use Excel program to complete this project. You must use formulae in excel and must print out the formulae that has been used in completing this part.]
Part B: Involves writing an essay on Agency Conflicts and Corporate Governance (1500 words). [Essay must be submitted in Turnitin folder]
“In a large company, ownership is often spread over a large number of shareholders who may effectively have little control over management. Management may therefore make decisions that benefit its own interests rather than those of the shareholders.” (Parrino et el 2016). This separation of ownership and control creates conflicts. These conflicts may also result in corporate misconduct and concerns over corporate governance practices of corporations.
Based on the above, write an essay on the topics of agency conflicts that are a result of the separation of ownership and control, and the role of corporate governance in modern corporations. Your essay must incorporate academic and professional research to support your arguments.
Reference: Parrino, R., Kidwell, D., Yong, H. H. A., Morkel-Kinsbury, N., Dempsey, M., and Murray, J, James, J, and Ekanayake, S., (2016), Business Finance, 1st ed., John Willey and Sons, Australia.