The Covid-19 global pandemic has severely disrupted the business operations of many if not all, companies in Singapore as well as in the world. To minimise the risk of outbreaks and provide a safe working environment, the Singapore government has drawn up a set of Safe Management Measures (SMMs). Companies in Singapore are required to establish their own systems that meet these guidelines.
More information on the guidelines set out by the Ministry of Manpower can be found via these
You are Vaji Kumar, the Head of Technical Support division of an engineering consulting company in Singapore. Last year, your Division was awarded the “Best Customer Service Award” by your company.
This year, as more and more meetings are conducted virtually, your division has been overwhelmed by the increasing number of technical support requests from colleagues each week. To make matters worse, each week, two out of the six members of staff in your Division are required to work from home as part of the company’s contingency plan. This and other Safe Management Measures have made it challenging to meet all your colleagues’ requests.
Write a short email to all members of staff in your company to pledge your division’s continued commitment to stellar service. Explain how the SMMs will affect your operations, and seek your readers’ understanding and cooperation as your division has been struggling to cope with the increased number of requests.
When writing your email, bear in mind that you need to adhere to the strict word limit of 300 words. You need to be very clear about the aims of your email and include only the most salient details that will help you achieve these aims. This means careful selection of the content and planning of the organisation for maximum effectiveness, bearing in mind the objectives of the email.
Be sure also to use an appropriate tone, and to edit and proofread your email carefully, so that you project a high degree of professionalism
You are encouraged to discuss the task with your assignment partner(s). You can make use of the following questions in your discussion:
- What are the key goals of your email? How would you prioritise these goals?
- What do you know about your reader(s) and their needs? What are their key concerns? How do you address these concerns?
- Which of the SMMs set out by MOM would affect your division’s operations? What significant changes in your division’s operations do these lead to?
- What are the consequences that may arise for your company if the SMMs are not met?
- What steps, if any, would your division take to mitigate the challenges you face, and to maintain a high level of customer service?
- How might your readers help your division to meet the challenges?
- What should you write in the subject line, to draw attention to the importance of your email?
- How will you organise your content to best achieve the goals of your email?
- What kind of language, style, and tone is appropriate?
- What formatting options do you have for each part of the email? How would you use these options to make your email more effective?