Critical Thinking Essay 5: The System and YOUR ROLE in the System – 2,000 Words/150 Points – Thursday and Sunday Due Dates!
Part 1: Due Thursday by 11:59 PM (100 Points)
In 1,500 words (6 pages), explain …
1. What “the system” (the status quo (連結到外部網站。)) is in the United States today.
2. Where YOU are standing within the system; what is YOUR ROLE? Why?
3. Whether you think that YOU have an obligation to become informed about and actively oppose abuses the system may perpetrate against specific groups of people, as in the case of people of African descent in the United States of America–as abuses against them, now and in the past, are frequently NOT communicated in history and civics (連結到外部網站。) classes in U.S. schools–and of course, deeply troubling arrests and shootings of Black men, women and children by law enforcement do not seem adequately addressed in U.S. courts.
Examples: Sally Hemmings (連結到外部網站。), Dred Scott (連結到外部網站。), Tulsa’s Black Wall Street (連結到外部網站。), the FBI targeting Black Panther leaders (連結到外部網站。), Redlining, (連結到外部網站。)the Fair Sentencing Act of 2010 (連結到外部網站。), and the verdict in the case of the shooting of Philando Castile. (連結到外部網站。)
The Shooting of Philando Castile (連結到外部網站。).
4. Which of the 20 lessons–if any–from Timothy Snyder’s 2017 book On Tyranny you think critical thinkers need to learn, and how they should put these lessons into practice as they navigate their daily lives in the system.
5. Which of the 15 Logical Fallacies listed below you think that you need to be aware of–if any–when you observe policies, procedures, rules and laws the system generates.
Quoting: You have two sources to quote from: Timothy Snyder’s On Tyranny and the fallacies in the box below. You should also choose an additional two sources to quote–your choice as to which–to support your contentions or illustrate a point or points you wish to make.