Each student is required to undertake all the required readings and review the relevant Zoom lectures.
Answer the following question in an argued fashion, giving reasons to support your conclusions:
“Everyone loves Marineland”?
Marineland, a themed amusement park and zoo in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada was opened in 1961. The park has included among its exhibits an Orca or “killer” whale and Beluga Whales.
Is there anything morally objectionable in placing large marine mammals, such as whales, on display for the entertainment of the public? Discuss with reference to the readings and lecture materials of this course.
1) What is Marineland? What is the nature of the business? What are the goals of the operation?
2) What animals are kept at Marineland? What is the natural behavior of these animals when not in captivity?
3) What conditions are the animals kept in while in captivity at Marineland?
4) Have there been any historical incidents at this Marine Park (or others) which are relevant to the topic in question?
5) Useful basis for your moral arguments: what would Immanuel Kant say? (Do you agree/disagree?) What would Peter Singer say? (Do you agree/disagree?) What would Bonnie Steinbock say? (Do you agree/disagree?) (Note: do not attempt to survey all these writers: length constraints prohibit this possibility).
6) If you have access: watch the Film “Blackfish.” Discuss this film with a friend and/or colleague.
7) Lastly: be sure to argue for a normative position and not merely describe.
In Word format your assignment must be double spaced, twelve (12) point font and 1300 words minimum. You may exceed this length by 150 words.
Page numbering throughout. The word requirement (1300 words) excludes cover page and bibliography. MLA (consistent throughout). Consult appropriate style guide for details.