Guidelines for the Implementing Evidence Based Practice summative assignment
‘Summative Assessment: 3000 words (+/- 10%) assignment will be on a topic of the student’s own choice or from the list provided; identified from practice experience and of relevance to service users and their families’ care experiences’
The topic must be focus on improving patient safety and/ or patient experience.
Examine the evidence supporting a clinical topic (chosen from your clinical experience) and critically appraise the evidence to underpin the evidence based practice, including a discussion of factors that may inhibit the implementation of the evidence base.
Introduce the research question and highlight any lack of evidence in the literature
Rationale for asking this question-why are you asking this? Is there a lack of evidence in the existing literature?
Introduce how you formulated your question
You must use PICO/PEO to clearly define your question.
Aims and objectives of this review
You need to look at the evidence base for your chosen topic. This will require good literature searching skills and a clear account of the search strategy you used. 6-15 papers are recommended but there may be more or less depending on your question.
Describe search terms used
Results of the search strategy
Describe your findings and use a table to depict results and place in appendices
Use an appraisal tool to appraise the papers you have selected. Put this information in your appendices and refer to it.
Mention bias in terms of research methodology for the papers you have selected
Summary and synthesis of the papers
What are the main points of the literature in relation to your research question?
Are there any themes coming through? Is there a reliance on particular areas?
Issues of Implementation
For the last quarter of the assignment (roughly) you are encouraged to use a framework such as PARIHS to explore issues of implementation.
Complete the essay with a brief conclusion drawing together the key ideas that specifically answered your research question and finally the implication of your findings for practice.
Above all make sure you are being critical in a structured and logical way
- Medication administration errors
- Reducing risks of falls in elderly patients
- Improving the quality of IM injection administration
- Effective strategies for smoking cessation
- Identifying and tackling malnutrition in hospitalised elderly patients
- Vacuum-assisted therapy (VAC) in reducing healing time in surgically infected wounds
- Safety of nasogastric tube insertion
- Effectiveness of touch therapy in adults during end of life care
- Providing artificial hydration to terminally ill patients
- End of life care to provide patients with a ‘good death’
- Stigma related to positive HIV status
- Intentional rounding
- Electronic nursing documentation and patient safety
- Incident reporting to improve patient safety
Type of service: Academic paper writing