BCO221 GLOBAL ECONOMICS (4 ECTS) Task brief & rubrics
Professor: Nelson Ferreira
Answer the four questions presented below using the essay format. Each question must be answered and reasoned by the student, using theory and examples as appropriate and based on the content from Unit 6 to Unit 11. Please note that you must present examples that support your assumptions. You are expected to complete your answer with demonstrable research.
1. As you know there are the five stages of integration that change completely the Business Environment of the countries that initiate the process of integration in EU. Considering the expansion of EU into 28 countries, what are the main changes that those new countries will face and in which way do you think that can affect positively/negatively the activity of their national companies. (25%)
2. After choosing one country from BRICS’ group as example, explain what are the main restraints and opportunities on a country under a ‘catch up effect’ regarding economic and social development and, as consequence, the potential to its entire business environment? (25%)
3. In which way can business/trading bring value to a specific society and how can corporate and social responsibility help to bring a prosperous and profitable business environment? Please, sustain your answer on examples. (25%)
4. What kind of factors can signalize a potential economic crisis? Explain in which way they may affect the business environment and, by giving an example, how would you suggest an organization to prepare to it. (25%)
· Wordcount: 1000-1500 words
· Cover, Table of Contents, References and Appendix are excluded of the total wordcount.
· Font: Arial 12,5 pts.
· Text alignment: Justified.
· The in-text References and the Bibliography must follow Harvard’s citation style.
· Only word or Pdf formats are accepted.
Submission: Week (13) – Via Moodle (Turnitin). Sunday, 9th May 2020 at 23:59
Weight: This task is a 40% of your total grade for this subject.
It assesses the following learning outcomes:
· Outcome 1: understand the working of international financial markets and global economy.
· Outcome 2: evaluate the state of the economy and the early warnings of a crisis
· Outcome 3: Illustrate the key issues related to the business environment and formulate an analysis of firm´s behavior in the global context.
· Outcome 4: apply the theoretical concepts to real world scenarios
· Outcome 5: apply theoretical concepts to real world scenarios and case studies of international trade
|Exceptional 90-100||Good 80-89||Fair 70-79||Marginal fail 60-69|
|Knowledge & Understanding (20%)||Student demonstrates excellent understanding of key concepts, uses vocabulary in an entirely appropriate manner and achieves a good holistic control of Global economics’ outcomes||Student demonstrates good understanding of the task and mentions some relevant concepts and demonstrates use of the relevant vocabulary. Achieves an acceptable good holistic control of Global economics’ outcomes||Student understands the task and provides minimum theory and/or some use of vocabulary.||Student understands the task and attempts to answer the question but does not mention key concepts or uses minimum amount of relevant vocabulary.|
|Application (30%)||Student applies fully relevant knowledge from the topics delivered in class to real cases||Student applies mostly relevant knowledge from the topics delivered in class to real cases.||Student applies some relevant knowledge from the topics delivered in class. Misunderstanding may be evident.||Student applies little relevant knowledge from the topics delivered in class. Misunderstands are evident.|
|Critical Thinking (30%)||Student critically assesses in excellent ways, drawing outstanding conclusions from relevant authors.||Student critically assesses in good ways, drawing conclusions from relevant authors and references.||Student provides some insights but stays on the surface of the topic. References may not be relevant.||Student makes little or none critical thinking insights, does not quote appropriate|