CRITICAL/ANALYTICAL RESPONSE ASSIGNMENT: Maus, by Art Spiegelman
Choose one of the following topics for your critical essay:
1. Discuss the idea(s) developed by Art Spiegelman in Maus about the human need
to reconcile uncertainties of the past with a new or present situation.
2. Discuss the idea(s) developed by Art Spiegelman in Maus about the ways in
which individuals pursue OR compromise their happiness.
3. Discuss the idea(s) developed by Art Spiegelman in Maus about the impact of an
individual’s ambition on self and others.
4. Discuss the idea(s) developed by Art Spiegelman in Maus about the role
self-preservation plays when individuals respond to competing demands. In your
planning and writing, consider the following instructions:
• Carefully consider your controlling idea and how you will create a strong unifying effect in your response.
• As you develop your ideas, support them with appropriate, relevant, and meaningful examples from Maus.
Initial Planning ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Personal reflections on the ways Maus relates to your chosen topic: Briefly explore your reasons for selecting the literary text as support for your response.