QUESTION 1 45 MARKS – Utilise the system SAS Viya
LG Electronics is a major player in the global consumer electronics industry. LG Electronics’ products include televisions, home theater systems, refrigerators, washing machines, computer monitors, wearable devices, solar modules, smart appliances and, formerly, smartphones.
Recently, LG identified issues in some models of its OLED TVs as they present a risk of overheating and need replacing their power boards. The affected models were sold in South Korea between February 2016 and September 2019. The 18 models affected include the following:
OLED65E6, OLED65G6, OLED77G6, OLED65B7, OLED65C7, OLED65E7, OLED65G7, OLED65W7, OLED77G7, OLED77W7, OLED65G8, OLED65W8, OLED77C8, OLED77W8, OLED65W9, OLED77B9, OLED77C9, OLED77W9
LG has recalled these TV models and offered to repair them for free, stating, “The overheating issue occurred only in very few models out of the total that used the component, but we will provide free component swaps for all of them for customer safety”. The company has already carried out the repair on 22,000 models, but the rest of the repairs would depend on owners making contact with LG or LG finding ways to identify affected owners, particularly through social media platforms. Also, TV models that are too large (above 65 inches screen size) cannot be sent back to LG factory for repairs. Instead, they require repairs to be conducted by a technician at the customer’s homes. To differentiate between its various OLED TVs, LG uses a naming convention as described in figure 1.
Figure 1. LG OLED TV Model Number Explained 2016-2021 (source: https://en.tab- tv.com/?page_id=7111)
With reference to the above case, please answer all of the following questions:
a) You are a data analyst at LG, and you have been asked to identify customer tweets that contain information on any of the TV models affected by the recall so
PAGE 3 OF 6
that the support team can reach out to them with instructions on how to get their TVs repaired. Write TWO (2) custom concepts rules using the REGEX rule type to extract the following terms, provide detailed explanations for each custom concept rule.
- Write custom concept FactoryRepairModel to match any LG OLED TV model impacted by the recall that can be repaired at the factory.
- Write custom concept HomeRepairModel to match any LG OLED TV model impacted by the recall that can only be repaired at the customer’s home.
[max 300 words] (15 marks)
- b) You have been asked to classify tweets into various categories based on the potential problems reported by customers. Write THREE (3) custom categories rules according to the following conditions:
- A custom category matching tweets about any of the models affected by the recall and complaining about overheating, smoking or fire.
- A custom category matching tweets about any of the models affected by the recall and complaining about quality issues.
- A custom category matching tweets about any of the models affected by the recall and complaining about lack of information about the recall.
For each of the THREE (3) custom categories, provide the rules and explain how they would help LG unveil actionable insights. [max 300 words] (15 marks)
- c) LG would like to identify how customers discuss their experience with the home repair of their TV models. Extracted terms can include (but not limited to) “quick”, “slow”, “amazing”, “horrible”, etc. Propose ONE (1) custom concept that allows extracting such terms in customer’s reviews that describe the experience of home repairs of LG TV. Provide detailed explanations of your rules, the choice of rule type, and the role of context sensitivity in this case [max 300 words] (15 marks)