Student Number: (enter on the line below)
Student Name: (enter on the line below)
Performance management in HR
Trimester 1, 2021
Assessment Weight: 50 total marks
- All questions must be answered by using the answer boxes provided in this paper.
- Completed answers must be submitted to Blackboard by the published due date and time.
Submission instructions are at the end of this paper.
This assessment consists of six (6) questions and is designed to assess your level of knowledge of the key topics covered in this unit.
There are 6 questions in the Tutorial Assignment. Once the assignment available, you will have 24 hours to finish and submit it. Each week students were provided with similar case studies and situational questions of varying degrees of difficulty. These tutorial case studies and guide questions are available in the Tutorial Folder for each week on Blackboard. The Interactive Tutorials are designed to assist students with the process, skills and knowledge to answer the provided tutorial questions. Your task is to answer a selection of tutorial questions covered over Week 2 to Week 11 inclusive.
It is important when you answer the questions, you do not just copy and paste the answers from other sources, but rather, try to paraphrase it and provide reference (in- text referencing) to your answers. All references must be listed appropriately at the end of the report using Harvard referencing style. References provided must follow Reference Requirement detailed on page 6.
In this assessment, you are given 6 questions under cases/scenarios where you will apply Performance Management for Human Resources concepts to support your recommendations.
Case 1: Turnover Analysis (15 marks) to be used for Questions 1-3
As Human Resource Manager, you recently completed your company’s new compensation plan. You are happy with the results but know there is more to retaining the employees than just pay, and you don’t currently have a retention plan. Your organization is a poultry wholesaler, consisting of 15 offices across South Australia, Northern Territory and Tasmania. The majority of employees are sales and marketing staff, and they fill full-time and temporary positions. One of the challenges you face is a difference in geographical areas, and as a result, there are differences in what may motivate employees.
As you initially look at turnover numbers, you have the sense that turnover has increased over the last six months. Your initial thoughts are the need for a better retention strategy, utilizing a bonus structure as well as other methods of retention. Currently, your organization pays a straight salary to employees, does not offer flextime or telecommuting options, focuses on individual performance (new and total sales generated) rather than team performance, and provides five days of vacation for every two years with the organization.
|Month||Separated Employees||Total Number of Employees Midmonth|
Question 1 (3 marks)
Calculate and interpret the monthly turnover for the past five (5) months.
ANSWER: ** Answer box will enlarge as you type
Question 2 (3 marks)
What steps would you take to remedy the above situation?
Question 3 (9 marks)
Identify and discuss 3 possible reasons for turnover in your own workplace or any organization (if you are currently not working). Be specific and describe the organization and the issue. (3 marks each)
Question 4 (15 marks)
Review each of the appraisal methods and discuss extensively which one you might use for the following types of jobs. Explain the reasons for your choice. (3 marks each)
1. Administrative Assistant
2. Chief Executive Officer
3. Human Resource Manager
4. Retail Store Assistant Manager
5. Parcel Delivery Driver
Case 2: Workforce Diversity (20 marks) to be used for Questions 5-6
But…It’s Our Company Culture!
You are the HR manager for a fifty-person firm that specializes in the development and marketing of plastics technologies. When you were hired, you felt the company had little idea what you should be paid and just made up a number, which you were able to negotiate to a slightly higher salary. While you have been on the job for three months, you have noticed a few concerning things in the area of multiculturalism, besides the way your salary was offered. The following are some of those items:
- You know that some of the sales team, including the sales manager, get together once a month to have drinks at a strip club.
- A Hispanic worker left the organization, and in his exit interview, he complained of not seeing a path toward promotion.
- The only room available for breast-feeding mothers is the women’s restroom.
- The organization has a policy of offering $200 to any employee who refers a friend, as long as the friend is hired and stays at least six months.
- The manufacturing floor has an English-only policy.
- You have heard managers refer to those wearing turbans in a derogatory way.
Question 5 (8 marks)
Cite two (2) things that you think need to be done to create a more inclusive environment, without losing the culture of the company? Support your answer with diversity theories and multi-cultural frameworks learned in class.
Question 6 (12 marks)
What suggestions would you make to those involved in each of the 6 situations above (2 marks each)?
END OF FINAL ASSESSMENT
- Save submission with your STUDENT ID NUMBER and UNIT CODE e.g. EMV54897 HC2101
- Submission must be in MICROSOFT WORD FORMAT ONLY
- Upload your submission to the appropriate link on Blackboard
- Only one submission is accepted. Please ensure your submission is the correct document.
- All submissions are automatically passed through SafeAssign to assess academic integrity.
Assessment Design – Adapted Harvard Referencing
Holmes will be implementing as a pilot program a revised Harvard approach to referencing. The following guidelines apply:
- Reference sources in assignments are limited to sources which provide full text access to the source’s content for lecturers and markers.
- The Reference list should be located on a separate page at the end of the essay and titled: References.
- It should include the details of all the in-text citations, arranged alphabetically A-Z by author surname. In addition, it MUST include a hyperlink to the full text of the cited reference source.
P Hawking, B McCarthy, A Stein (2004), Second Wave ERP Education, Journal of Information Systems Education, Fall, http://jise.org/Volume15/n3/JISEv15n3p327.pdf
- All assignments will require additional in-text reference details which will consist of the surname of the author/authors or name of the authoring body, year of publication, page number of content, paragraph where the content can be found.
“The company decided to implement a enterprise wide data warehouse business intelligence strategies (Hawking et al, 2004, p3(4)).”
Non-Adherence to Referencing Guidelines
Where students do not follow the above guidelines:
- Students who submit assignments which do not comply with the guidelines will be asked to resubmit their assignments.
- Late penalties will apply, as per the Student Handbook each day, after the student/s have been notified of the resubmission requirements.
- Students who comply with guidelines and the citations are “fake” will be reported for academic misconduct.