What training would you provide to the supervisors who conduct job interviews?
Please read the case and answer the questions at the end. Please respond to two of your peers. Do you agree or disagree?
Jones Feed and Seed is a large regional warehouse that supplies agricultural products to retail stores. These products include pesticides that are used to treat animals and herbicides that are used to improve crops. For its warehouse operations, the company generally hires employees who have just finished high school. These employees work under the supervision of a more senior laborer, who is usually someone with about one year of experience working in the warehouse. The supervisor is in charge of interviewing job candidates and normally makes final hiring decisions.
- Receive and count stock items and record data manually or using a computer.
- Pack and unpack items to be stocked on shelves in stockrooms, warehouses, or storage yards.
- Verify inventory computations by comparing them to physical counts of stock and investigate discrepancies or adjust errors.
- Store items in an orderly and accessible manner in warehouses, tool rooms, supply rooms, or other areas.
- Mark stock items using identification tags, stamps, electric marking tools, or other labeling equipment.
- Clean and maintain supplies, tools, equipment, and storage areas in order to ensure compliance with safety regulations.
- Determine proper storage methods, identification, and stock location based on turnover, environmental factors, and physical capabilities of facilities.
- Keep records on the use and/or damage of stock or stock handling equipment.
- Move controls to drive gasoline or electric-powered trucks, cars, or tractors and transport materials between loading, processing, and storage areas.
- Move levers and controls that operate lifting devices, such as forklifts, lift beams and swivel-hooks, hoists, and elevating platforms, in order to load, unload, transport, and stack material.
- Position lifting devices under, over, or around loaded pallets, skids, and boxes, and secure material or products for transport to designated areas.
- Manually load or unload materials onto or off pallets, skids, platforms, cars, or lifting devices.
- Load, unload, and identify building materials, machinery, and tools and distribute them to the appropriate locations, according to project plans and specifications.
- What training would you provide to the supervisors who conduct job interviews?
- What are some primary safety concerns that the company should have about the warehouse operation?
- What OSHA guidelines do the company need to follow and communicate to employees?
- What kind of disabilities do you think could be reasonably accommodated for this job position?
Source: Information for job description from http://online.onetcenter.org/ (Links to an external site.).