Nursing Communication Study Questions
Homework Topic 3
Write a 650-1300 word response to the following questions:
Remember to have 2 parts- research and critical thinking- both labeled.
APA format citations and references.
Explain multicultural communication and its origins.
Compare and contrast culture, ethnicity, and acculturation.
Explain how cultural and religious differences affect the health care professional and the issues that can arise in cross-cultural communications.
Discuss family culture and its effect on patient education.
List some approaches the health care professional can use to address religious and cultural diversity.
List the types of illiteracy. (Do not just list).
Discuss illiteracy as a disability.
Give examples of some myths about illiteracy.
Explain how to assess literacy skills and evaluate written material for readability.
Identify ways a health care professional may establish effective communication.
Suggest ways the health care professional can help a patient remember instructions. (This is research based. All answers are research based).
306 RUBRICS – HOMEWORK Week One – Five
40 points each
· Created short paragraph (50-100 word minimum) response for each question and addressed each part of the question. (the question does not count toward the word count) –/ 10 points
· Research section: Demonstrated accuracy, thoughtful detail and intelligence with each answer and was written in own words and had original thought. -10 pts
· Critical thinking Section: Original Examples are provided to explain answer. (Example:) Student has original and critical thinking:-10 pts
· Created APA formatted document.
i. Included APA title page. 1/
ii. Included APA in-text citations – 5/
iii. APA reference page at the end. –3 pts/ 9 points total
· Homework has questions written out, numbered and are in order. ( See student Success center for details on APA formatting) – 1 point
HOMEWORK EXAMPLE as posted in rubric doc in announcement:
1) Define CAM.
CAM stands for complementary and alternative medicine. CAM consists of many different therapies and treatments that are used to prevent and treat illness and disease. These methods are not typically taught in Medical school or practiced by Western medical doctors. Various practices use natural methods or substances to promote the body to heal or stay in harmony. The mind body and spirit of a person are brought into the equation of healing. (Falvo, pp.210-211, 2004)
For example, Chiropractic, homeopathy, naturopathy, yoga, meditation and energy fields are some of the therapies used in CAM. I had a patient with diabetes and used to also get nutritional work completed by a Chiropractor that helped to control his blood sugar.
Hi Class, please be sure to create a highly organized assignment. There are 2 parts to each answer.
Write out the question and bold it.
Define patient compliance and explain its importance in your field.
1. research: Write the research answer: The readings say… Research says…. (cite in the text)
2. critical thinking: Write your critical thinking: How can you apply this? What are your thoughts? Do you have any examples that clarify?
Week one help:
Write a short (50-100-word) paragraph response for each question. This assignment is to be submitted as a Microsoft Word document.
1. Define patient compliance and explain its importance in your field.
2. Identify the health care professionals’ role in compliance and give examples of ways in which the health care professional may actually contribute to noncompliance.
3. Compare compliance and collaboration. (These are not just definitions)
4. Compare and contrast patient education in the past with that practiced today. (Don’t just state what was done but draw conclusions.
5. Explain the importance of professional commitment in developing patient education as a clinical skill.
6. Explain the three categories of learning and how they can be used in patient education.(Clarify 1,2,3)
7. List three problems that may arise in patient education and how they would be solved? (Clarify 1,2,3)
8. List some methods of documentation of patient education.