Make a 20-min presentation on the following health/health-related problems:
The presentation should focus primarily on the sociological aspects in the Singapore context (do not focus on other countries except in passing) and cover the following:
i.Give 3 startling facts and show a short video clip (2 – 3 mins) on the topic.
ii. Explain 2 – 3 ill-effects of the health-related problem for:
b.His/her family; and
(Note: No need to present an objective slide for this presentation as an introduction as these are already listed here).
2.Give a brief historical statistical overview of the selected health/health-related problem in Singapore over the past 5 – 10 years (use up-to-date statistics available on MOH or other related websites). (Charts/graphs/tables are required).
3. (a) Identify at least 3 key common social characteristics of the people in Singapore with your selected health/health-related problem (e.g. age, sex, race/ethnicity). (Use of charts/graphs/tables is required for each characteristic).
(b) Explain for each of the key common social characteristics identified in 3(a) one social cause why these people tend to have the health-related problem in the Singapore context.
4. Discuss 4 – 5 other possible social causes for the increase or decrease (depending on your answer in Q2) in the selected health/health-related problem in our society. (Do not repeat the same reasons given in 3(b).)
5. Select one sociological theory which can help us to better understand one or two aspects of this health/health-related problem.
i.Give a brief summary of the sociological theory selected
ii. Show how it can be applied to increase our understanding of your health-related problem
6. List 5 – 6 main measures (e.g. legislation/laws, policies, programs or services provided) taken by the Singapore government/voluntary organizations to try to curb the selected health/health-related problem. (Try to arrange these measures in chronological order). Evaluate these measures in terms of their overall effectiveness in curbing the selected health/health-related problem especially with regards to the high-risk group(s) in the Singapore context. (Use the table below).
|S/No||Measures Taken||Effectiveness (Y/N)||Reasons/Explanation|
7. Give 2 – 3 new measures (e.g. new legislation/laws, policies, programs, or services to provide) which you think could help to prevent/minimize the problem among your identified high-risk group(s). List the rationale and limitations for each of your new measures. Rank your new measures in order of overall effectiveness and explain your choice. (Use the table below).
i.Identify 3 key challenges/obstacles faced by the government in trying to solve this health/health-related problem. Elaborate briefly on each challenge/obstacle.
ii. Assess the likely trend for this health/health-related problem over the next 3 years. Explain why.