CO5124: Data Analysis and Decision Modelling
ASSESSMENT TASK 1: DESCRIPTION
The aim of this assessment is to report on the analysis and evaluation of the organization’s business data via SWOT analysis and recommend enhancements for business success.
You are the business analyst of your business. The management team has requested you to perform a business overview to:
1. Identify, analyze and evaluate the use of business data and level of analytics applies within your business.
2. Conduct a SWOT analysis to summarise the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats (SWOT) in regards to the use of business analytics in your business.
3. Base on your SWOT analysis provides recommendations on how your business can better use business analytics to provide insights and create value for your business.
Write a 1000 word report summarising your analysis, findings, and recommendations to the management.
ASSESSMENT TASK 2: DESCRIPTION
The aim of this assessment is to apply business analytics and statistical theory to analyze a business scenario with a particular focus on the application of Excel Analysis Tools and PHStat.
You are the new business analyst for Cunningham Holdings. The CEO of the Cunningham Holdings subsidiary, Oscar Cunningham has assigned you the task to conduct a statistical analysis of the current accommodation business data (see CHL Accommodation DATA.xlsx) and prepare an 800-word report summarising your findings addressing the five issues below.
Issue 1: Determine the current average pricing of the accommodation by brands, states, and locations
Issue 2: Determine whether price differentiation exists among the accommodation brands.
Issue 3: Determine whether price differentiation exists between states among accommodation brands.
Issue 4: Determine whether price differentiation exists between locations among accommodation brands.
Issue 5: Determine if the introduction of the Comfort brand has increased internal competition among the other accommodation brands
ASSESSMENT TASK 3: DESCRIPTION
The aim of this assessment is to apply business analytics and decision modeling approaches to develop a business report (proposal) for a given business scenario using Excel and Solver as decision model implementation and solving tools.
You are the Cunningham Holdings senior Business Analyst working with Oscar Cunningham the CEO of the CHL Hospitality subsidiary to submit a 1500 word business report (proposal) for a new golf course resort.
The proposal must discuss the analysis of your four models (the standard and the three options of the exclusive clubhouse) whether meeting or not meeting the shareholder’s requirements. You then make a recommendation with
justification to the management of the proposed model.
In helping you to prepare the business report, you MUST do the following to provide evidence to support your proposal:
Part 1: Action Plan
In the action plan, you have to describe the process you will undertake to transform the business problem into a set of mathematical equations using the four steps approach.
1. Identify the decision variables – the unknown values that the model seeks to determine.
2. Identify the objective function – the quantity to be minimized or maximized.
3. Identify all appropriate constraints – limitations, requirements, or other restrictions that are imposed on any solution, either from practical or technological considerations or by management policy.
4. Write the objective function and constraints as mathematical expressions
Part 2: Spreadsheet Model Implementation
Here, it includes the Excel and Solver implementation of your five (5) models.
1. Standard clubhouse model
2. Exclusive clubhouse model (original specification)
3. Three (3) options of the exclusive clubhouse (see case detail descriptions). Clearly state what has changed in each of the three options from the original exclusive clubhouse model.
Part 3: Business Report & Communication
In the business report, provide a description of the implementation of your five decision models (the standard clubhouse, the original exclusive clubhouse, and the three options for the exclusive clubhouse).
Focus your analysis on comparing the four models (the standard and the three options of the exclusive clubhouse) on their holes configuration, total enjoyment index, total land used, and the total construction cost. Your analysis and discussion should emphasize the implication of each of the options meeting or not meeting the shareholder’s requirements.
Propose and justify your recommendation. Ensure your recommendations include ALL the concerns of management and the Board. Discuss the pros and cons of your recommendation and ensure these are supported by your analysis. Include reference to theoretical concepts and relevant examples where applicable to support your recommendations.