Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
- Researchers wanted to explore self-esteem in adolescent boys and adolescent girls. Each respondent completed a 10-item self-esteem scale (they chose one rating for each item from a Likert-type scale, 1 = strongly disagree and 5 = strongly agree). The sum of the 10 ratings was each respondent’s self-esteem score. Their results were: t = 2.01, d = .90 (40 girls, 40 boys).
- This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
- Use APA style for the writing assignments. The APA Style Guide is located in the Student Success Center.
- This assignment requires that at least four additional scholarly research sources related to this topic, and at least one in-text citation from each source be included.
In an essay (500 words), use the scenario presented above to thoroughly answer the following questions:
- What statistical test did the researchers use to determine if there was a statistically significant difference in levels of self-esteem between the boys and the girls?
- What was the purpose of calculating a Cohen’s d? When is a Cohen’s d calculated? Interpret d=.90. What does it mean in this example?
- What if the researcher compared the adolescent boys before treatment and again after treating them for depression? What type of t-test would be most appropriate in this case, and why?