Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Plans
This assignment consists of three parts: a business continuity plan (BCP), a disaster recovery plan, and a summary. You must submit all three files (in either Word or PDF format) in the same submission for this assignment. Include BCP or DRP in the name of those files.
For this assignment you will need to download, extract (unzip), and install the Business Continuity Planning Suite. Step by step instructions can be found at the site.
You are an information technology (IT) manager working for the Defense Logistics Information Service (DLIS) headquartered in Battle Creek, Michigan. DLIS is an organization within the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), which is the largest logistics combat support agency for the Department of Defense. DLIS creates, manages, and disseminates logistics information to military and government customers using the latest technology.
Senior management at DLIS decided that your team must develop a BCP and a DRP in order to overcome issues that might occur now or in the future since your team is doing so well. You have been assigned to develop these new plans. Take into consideration the following information on the DLIS IT infrastructure:
DLIS has a global reach and has at least 50 file servers and multiple (12) databases running everything from an enterprise resource planning (ERP) system to the organization payroll system that has an electronic funds transfer (EFT) capability. Also worth noting is that there is a warm site within 50 miles of the headquarters data center. No plans exist for it. You will want to use it in your planning. Each remote location also has local servers and desktop computers that are not connected to the HQ data center. Currently all system backups are performed by an outside vendor; however, your team will want to recommend a new process and vendor, and develop a new back-up plan for approximately five terabytes (TB) of critical classified data.
Events to consider include, but are not limited to, hardware and software malfunctions, failed storage systems, power outages, terrorist attacks, computer viruses, and natural disasters such as snowstorms, hurricanes, earthquakes, and pandemics.
Part 1: Business Continuity Plan
Run the Business Continuity Planning Suite tool by clicking Start Now. Click on the Business Continuity Plan Generator to extract and run the tool (see install instructions). Create your BCP using the information provided in the scenario. When complete, print your file and save it as a Word or PDF file. Note that in your BCP at Chapter 2 – Critical Business Information, you only need to select the IT/telecommunications team.
Part 2: Disaster Recovery Plan
Click the Disaster Recovery Plan Generator to extract and run the tool (see install instructions). Create your DRP using the information provided in the scenario. When complete, print your file and save it as a Word or PDF file.
Use your imagination while filing in the forms. Be verbose while filling in the template for areas such as the policy and objectives. Make up a fictional organization chart and use fictional contact names.
Part 3: Summary
Write a one-page summary addressing the following;
- What was your strategy in using the information provided within the scenario to fill in the BCP template and what assumptions did you make while incorporating the information into the form?
- What was your strategy in using the information provided within the scenario to fill in the DRP template and what assumptions did you make while incorporating the information into the form?
- Describe your opinion of the tool and if you would use it in your current or future career as a planning tool for events. If you would not use the tool, discuss what tool or methods you would use to capture BCP and DRP information.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Evaluate and categorize risk with respect to technology, individuals, and the enterprise, and recommend appropriate responses.