Codex Zouche-Nuttall Worksheet
Complete the following worksheet using the pages from the codex provided to the class.
1. Can you identify Lord 8 Deer? Draw an image of him below and then write from which page you drew.
2. In the provides pages, we can see the meeting of Lord 8 Deer and Lord 4 Jaguar which leads to the elevation of Lord 8 Deer to “lineage head” or a type of ruler, marked by the nose piercing ceremony. Which page is the ceremony happening on? How does Lord 8 Deer’s appearance change as a result after the ceremony happens?
3. How would you describe pages 54-68? What is shown? Are there objects, people, etc.? What are they doing? Be as specific as possible in your answer.
4. Based on what occurs in page 52-53 with Lord 8 Deer (the nose piercing ceremony that makes him the king), what do you think is happening in page 54-68?
5. Identify at least two other individuals from the codex and write their name and the page you found them on below.
6. At the top of page 70, we see Lord 8 Deer engaged in combat and then we go on to see a bunch of place names with atlatl spears in them from pages 71-74. What do you think this represents?
7. Describe at least two place names shown from pages 71-74 and then state which page you found them on. Use the index/key box in the Miro board to help.
8. Based on the pages provided to you, and your answers above, how does the Codex Zouche-Nuttall describe/present Lord 8 Deer? How do you think the Mixtec’s viewed him?