You are CMO (Chief Marketing Officer) of SUNILEVER COMPANY. Company is preparing its Strategic Plan for years 2020-2030. Sunilever’s corporate mission statement (updated at 2010 in strategic planning) is “to add vitality to life. We meet every day needs for nutrition, hygiene and personal care with brands that help people feel good, look good and get more out of life.” This mission statement underscores how the company satisfies customers in various aspects of their lives. The following are the significant components in Unilever’s mission statement:
- Adding vitality to life
- Meeting everyday needs for nutrition, hygiene, and personal care
- Helping people feel good, look good, and get more out of life
Adding vitality to life is a general indicator of business strategy in Sunilever’s corporate mission statement. Such vitality is the value that consumers can expect from the company’s products. The corporate mission also specifies the aspects of life where such vitality is added. For example, Sunilever’s food products address consumers’ vitality needs in terms of nutrition. Furthermore, through these products, the company attracts customers who want to feel good, look good, and get more out of life.
Detailed information on strategic business units of SUNILEVER can be found in Table-1 below:
|Strategic Business Units||Market Growth Rate||Relative Market Share||Industry Attractiveness||SBU Strenght|
|Home Cleaning Products||High||High||High||Medium|
|Kitchen Food Products||High||Low||Low||Low|
Please answer questions below as Chief Marketing Officer of Sunilever Company:
- Please assess company’s mission statement which was updated at 2010 according to the specifications a good mission statement should have. And write a better mission statement as an update of the current one.
- Please prepare both BOSTON Consulting Group and McKinsey/GE Matrix to reassign company resources.
Company’s current financial situation shows that yearly profits will increase from 100 million dollar to 200 million dollars in ten year. But company’s strategic plan suggests having 400-million-dollar profit per year at the end of strategic planning period.
- According to information above, draw and explain strategic planning gap for the company.
- Assess growth strategies, choose one growth strategy for the company to fill strategic planning gap.