The purpose of this assignment is to define and evaluate an information governance program used to manage data within a health care organization. Review Chapter 3 in Healthcare Information Security and Privacy to facilitate completion of this assignment.
Murphy, S.P. (2018). Healthcare information security and privacy. McGraw-Hill Education. 1st edition.
You are working for an organization that currently does not have an information governance program in place. Your goal is to draft a proposal to executive leadership on the significance of adopting and implementing an information governance program.
Write an executive summary that contains the following information:
Overview of Information Governance Framework
1. Provide a summary of an information governance framework.
2. Explain the importance of an information governance framework to health care operations.
3. Describe how information governance frameworks assists in the adherence to HIPAA regulations.
4. Briefly list and describe at least five components necessary for an information governance framework (i.e., records management, disaster recovery, information management, configuration management, etc.).
Definition of Components
For each of the listed components, provide a section that includes the following:
– Description of the purpose, implementation, and impact the component has within a health care organization.
– Explain the risks of not having the component in place and how it reduces or mitigates the risk to electronic protected health information (ePHI).
– Identify how the component influences an organization’s ability to adhere to HIPAA regulations.
– Explain how an information governance framework assists in the development of HIPAA policies and procedures.
– Provide an external resource to support your argument.
Provide a conclusion with a recommendation to leadership for implementing the proposed information governance framework and associated components presented, including the benefits the program will provide for ensuring patient privacy.